Picture Book Beat Sheet
How Strategies from SAVE THE CAT can Strengthen Your Manuscripts
Inside this course is a BRAND NEW way of evaluating the strength of your picture book manuscripts using Blake Snyder's beat sheet tool from his book, SAVE THE CAT. Author Heather Preusser has applied the beats to picture books and teaches how to use them in both the writing and revision process. Specifically, you will learn:
- How a book on screenwriting can help us with picture book manuscripts.
- The 15 beats in most stories.
- A hands-on way to apply the official "Blake Snyder Beat Sheet" to a model picture book text.
- An impromptu exercise applying the beats to a picture book.
- Where to find additional resources.
Heather Preusser earned a BA in English and art history from Williams College, an MA in education from the University of Colorado, and an MFA in creative writing from the University of Southern Maine. She is currently working on several picture books and novels for young readers. When not writing, Heather teaches high school English, bikes the European countryside, and attempts to learn ridiculously long German words. She and her husband reside in Colorado. Her debut picture book, A Symphony of Cowbells, was released in March, 2017.