Noodling with Nonfiction Picture Book Structure
The nonfiction picture book market is hot right now, but gets more competitive by the day. In this course, author and 12 x 12 member Kirsten Larson shares how to understand and experiment with nonfiction structures to make your stories stand out. She covers:
- understanding the evolution of children's nonfiction
- discussing the current children's nonfiction landscape
- describing how basic text structures work
- inspiring you to play with your drafts and experiment with structure
Kirsten Larson used to work with rocket scientists at NASA. Now she writes books for curious kids. Kirsten is the author of WOOD, WIRE, WINGS: EMMA LILIAN TODD INVENTS AN AIRPLANE, illustrated by Tracy Subisak (Calkins Creek, February 2020), A TRUE WONDER: The Comic Book Hero Who Changed Everything (Clarion, Fall 2021), illustrated by Katy Wu, and THE FIRE OF STARS: The Life and Brilliance of the Woman Who Discovered What Stars Are Made Of, illustrated by Katherine Roy (Chronicle, Spring 2022), as well as 25 nonfiction books for the school and library market. Kirsten lives near Los Angeles with her husband, lhasa-poo, and two curious kids. Her house is filled with LEGOs, laughter, and lots of books!
"I just watched Kirsten Larson's webinar. It was fantastic! If you write nonfiction, it's a must-watch.
- M.O. Yuksel, Author of In My Mosque (HarperCollins, 2021)
"I just finished a brand new manuscript inspired by Kirsten Larson's webinar. I am stoked!"
- Susan Papierski Summers, Author
"Thank you Kirsten Larson for an insightful webinar on nonfiction structures.The ideas are flowing, the TBR list is long, and I'm excited to dive into revisions!"
- Jen Fier Jasinski, Co-Founder, Impressive Company