Finding Unsung Heroes for Picture Book Biographies
Award-winning nonfiction picture book author Rita Lorraine Hubbard shares:
- Where to find unsung heroes to write about
- Vetting facts through professional relationships
- Mining and repurposing hero stories for picture books
- Building your source library
- Unexpected places to find subjects.
Rita Lorraine Hubbard is the author of a number of nonfiction books for adults and runs the children’s book review site Picture Book Depot. She is the author of Hammering for Freedom: The Story of William Lewis, which was awarded the New Voices Award by Lee & Low Books and has received three starred reviews, and The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read, illustrated by Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator Oge Mora. Ms. Hubbard lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee.